RED PARROT & NEWPORT HISTORY
The Red Parrot building is listed on the National Register of Historical Places in Newport. It was built in 1898 by John Alton Barker as a meat packing house where it employed hundreds of people during the era known as "The Gilded Age".
Through the years this building has housed a variety of eating establishments serving heads of state, diplomats, royalty, movie stars, the thousands of people visiting Newport each year and now you as it comes to be known as the Red Parrot since 1993.
Trading from the Caribbean and South Seas has always been a key part of Newport history and the pineapple, displayed thoughout the city, has been a symbol of hospitality in Newport since the colonial era
Sea captains returning home after months at sea would bring exotic fruits back from the Caribbean. A pineapple would be placed in front of the captain's home to signal his return and to welcome friends in to share his good fortune.